Tuesday, April 22, 2008

Change #17- No more cases of 'pop'

So far, many of our changes have been about replacing products we normally buy with environmentally friendly ones (diapers, toothbrushes, batteries, clothing etc). This week's change is a little different. It's about not buying something. Because, Derek is right, being green is about not buying stuff, just reducing our consumption of everything in general. So, this week we are comitting to no longer buying cases of soft drinks. We normally buy one case of 'pop' per week.

This may seem like an easy change... but somehow I became a Diet Coke addict. Some people drink coffee, some people drink tea or juice -I drink Diet Coke. I must have at least one can a day (sometimes I even have two -my bones really hate me). Derek recently kicked his Diet Coke/coffee habit. Fifty days ago he gave up drinking booze, coffee and soft drinks. I never, ever thought I would see the day that Derek would give up drinking Diet Coke (he often had 2-3 a day). But he did it and he says he feels better than he has in years. So, now it's my turn. As much as it pains me and my mouth is watering right now at the thought of those delicious bubbles, we are no longer going to be buying soft drinks for the house. This doesn't mean I won't ever have a pop now and then. But since there won't be any in the house... I'll be drastically reducing my consumption that's for sure. This means fewers cans in our recycling bin, which means a little less energy will be used to recycle them and less energy used to produce them in the first place.

I guess that leaves tap water. Good thing I really like water!

No comments:

Tell me when this blog is updated

what is this?